This is my very first blog post on my shiny new website annnnnnd in lovely squarespace (versus my former site host, wordpress). We're faaaancy over here!
To kick off and motivate my continued blogging, I'm doing another 30-Day Style Challenge where I will wear a particular clothing style for 30 days straight. I'll showcase different ways to style it, inspire creativity & playfulness, and personally challenge my own style mechanics. Last year I dubbed my challenge #chambrayaday and rocked "chambray" for the entire month of October (you can check that out here).
This year I am paying homage to the burly lumberjacks (think Brawny paper towel man-friend) of "Movember" by donning the phenom pattern that is plaid, check, and tartan. This ladycakes is going #madforplaid for 30 days of killer looks. Bammo!
The beautiful thing about plaid is that it can wardrobe every socio-economic class, cross generational gaps, and make just about everyone seem "in the know" (vague for "on trend" I s'pose..."with the times" blah blah)
It's remarkably true! Just think about who's claimed plaid as their own and how beautifully it works for each of these groups:
- 90s grunge hipster/emo kid/"millenial" dabbling in the decade (with a Kurt Cobain absenteeism and a pair of "just enough lived-in" Doc Martens)
- College Co-Ed Prepster (Ralph Lauren interiors, perfectly pressed khakis, the scent of suppressed family secrets and a taste for martinis)
- Lumberjack (rogue bearded guy with an axe and a perceived and somehow sexy sense of adventure)
- Garden Gnomes (not positive about this one but I just get the vibe)
- Backwoodser and Cowboy/Cowgirl (PBR, camo, worn-in jeans and an achey-breaky heart)
- West Coast/Westerner Cool Kid (think San Fran, Seattle, Portland, and a penchant for local coffee spots)
- Chicy-Chic ladyfriend (not a real category but it's my way to describe the ladies who street style, fashion blog, and make their looks seem effortlessly feminine)
I could keep dreaming these twisted tartan characters up but.... I'd rather not show my hand. Anyhoo, the fun part about all of this is I usually have some random events on my calendar that require my style challenges to get uber crafty. For instance, last year I had to dress up a denim shirt (chambray) for a wedding. This year so far, I will pack on the plaid for a fashion show that requires cocktail attire (stay tuned) and an upscale style presence. All of which I excel at ;)
Follow my #madforplaid journey daily on my blog, instagram and facebook pages. You can view my looks and give me your opinions and even join in on the fun by tagging me in your own plaid looks. We will keep the creativity loop going by inspiring one another!