Today I'm sharing more of my entrepreneurial side; Sharing insight into my reasoning when it comes to taking on a project outside of my normal closet or styling gig.
I am doing more writing and embracing another facet of my creativity. I am a firm believer that when you make a declaration into "the universe" that the world "conspires" to bring more of that delaration into your view.
"your thoughts create words, your words create action and your actions shape your behavior (i'm sure this is an exact quote of someone's)."
I declared I wanted to do more writing and share my words and now mixes of opportunities are falling into my inbox. Some have been paid and some are strictly promotional. Either way I have learned to put the opportunity through these filters:
- *gut check!* what is my intuition telling me? "explore this further? run away NOW! or this absolutely sends my creativity soaring!"
- does this make sense for me and my brand (core values)?
- will this require a lot of my time and energy aka does this measure up to the time (and $) I would or should exert elsewhere
- will this create traffic to my website and build brand awareness?
So when I was randomly asked to be a "local expert" for a travel app (Stay.com) and emailed about an opportunity to provide a list of 8 shopping destinations in Orlando, here is what I did:
- looked up the app/website
- if my name is attached to ANYTHING you better believe I'm going to fact-check and make sure it's something I support or think is rad/useful
- thought about how I could re-shape what was being asked of me to fit my personal and business mantras
- I'm not a big "shopper" nor do I subscribe to trends forcing you to buy stuff all the time, so how could I look at this list differently and make it intentional
- I asked if I could provide my own write-up/blurbs about the businesses I would recommend; making them personal and showcase what makes these shops true gems (be sure to click the purple "local's pick" underneath each shop, to access this)
- made sure I was clear on what I was getting out of the "free" work
- since promotion was involved, what did stay.com commit to doing for me in return for my time and what parts of my brand were they willing to include publically
- made sure I was clear on exactly what was asked of me
- always one to bring my best but also one to over give or think when it isn't always necessary. they wanted short blurbs so that was all they would get; power-packed 1-2 sentences.
- set a deadline for myself, was prompt in providing what they asked of me and shared why I agreed to the work
- since I advocate for local and small businesses, that was exactly who I wanted to showcase in this list. I was sure to share that in my agreement and in turn, created a genuine connection with the stay.com rep. I was corresponding with
I'm sharing all this because I too filter my decisions, evaluate them against all parts of my life (personal, business, down-time), make requests, and don't claim that any single part of that is easy.
Plus the app is suuuuuper cool and useful. I would love for you to check it out and support my ci-tay!
plus check this sneaky peak!
I learn and experience deeply along this journey of mine and I will continue to share of myself and encourage you to do the same.